As much as I’d love to tell you that my skin care routine is simple, well… it’s not. If you want great skin you have to put in the time and effort to get the results you want. However, once you get into a routine it will become simpler.
Everyone has a different skin type. The products I’ve listed are what I have found work best for my skin type, which is combination. My advice is to experiment with the endless supply of products on the market to find what works best for you and your skincare needs. The basic outline of my routine is for everyone:
1. Cleanser: To make sure I don't strip my face of natural oils and dry-out my skin, I wash my face with a gentle cleanser. Sometimes I'll even just splash my with ice-cold water. This helps reduce puffiness & definitely wake you up!
2. Toner: After I wash my face, I soak a cotton pad with witch hazel and gently pat it all over my face. For those of you who aren’t familiar with witch hazel, it is an all-natural tonic that has been used for centuries to cleanse, soothe, and tone skin. The cucumber witch hazel I use in the morning is a miracle worker at erasing dark circles and bags from under my eyes.
3. Serum: Once the witch hazel dries, I will apply a serum. Serums have a high concentration of active ingredients such as antioxidants, moisturizing agents, and vitamins that effectively target specific skin concerns. I am currently using a serum that targets sun damage.
4. Moisturizer: Next, I will smooth on moisturizer all over my face. I have a collection of moisturizers that I switch off using depending on the skin issues I want to target. Below is a moisturizer from my FAVORITE skincare brand. Eminence products are made with fresh fruit pulps, plants and exotic spices. This makes them incredibly rich in nutrients and highly effective.
5. Sunscreen: Last but not least, I apply sunscreen all over my face (and body) everyday to protect from damaging UV rays. I choose sunscreens that contain zinc oxide because the ingredient has a broad spectrum of UV protection. My favorite sunscreen is from Blue Lizard—the bottle turns blue in the presence of UV light!
Throughout the day I mist my face with a hydrating mist to keep my complexion looking dewy and fresh. On the flip side, if my face starts to look oily, I blot my face with oil wipes to reduce the shine.
1. Cleanser: If I wear makeup during the day, I wash my face with this natural (but very effective) face wash. It is so important to NEVER sleep in your makeup! Yes, I am guilty of this… but I’ve learned that I’m always thankful when I take just 5 minutes to wash my face, instead of dealing with breakouts over the next 5 days.
2. Toner: Same as the morning.
3. Serum: Same as the morning.
4. Moisturizer: I use this age corrective moisturizer at night.
5. Eye Cream: I use Aquaphor as an eye cream! It is extremely hydrating and I’ve found it works better than Vaseline because it soaks into the skin.
once a week
I exfoliate once or twice a week to shed dead skin and retain a smooth complexion. My favorite way to exfoliate is with Clarisonic.
I hope you enjoyed this post! Let me know what products you use in your skincare routine!